My adventures in a multilingual, multinational marriage.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ninja baby and ziplock bags


The first time I felt little Baby kick, it was pretty weird. Pretty soon I got used to his occasional movements and it was reassuring, an affirmation that he was still doing okay in there. Now he moves around so often that I’m sure I would start to worry if a whole day went by and I hadn’t felt him even once.

From what I’ve heard, some babies are more active than others. It may have just as much or more to do with the mother’s body than the baby’s actual movements, but I’ve had some women tell me that they didn’t feel their babies kick very often. In the same way that before Baby kicked, I wasn’t really worried about him kicking or not, if he’d never kicked much, I don’t suppose I would want him to kick more. Now that he does, it just seems normal that he should continue to do so.

And, man, does he kick. I’m actually looking forward to my next ultrasound, hoping to get some good movement while we’re watching, because my imagination is starting to run wild with the things I’ve felt. He’s big enough now that he can simultaneously hit both sides of my abdomen. Sometimes it’s a series of hard jabs. In which case, I’ve found that I can calm him down by moving around a bit. Other times I feel more of a pressure, like he’s trying to stretch out my uterus to make more space.

Some of my most common fantasies about his activities include mixed martial arts or acrobatics training, swimming and dancing. I have a feeling that this kid is going to cause some trouble in the next few years. I imagine turning my back on him for only a second and finding him scaling the dresser drawers just like his uncle used to do.

The strangest and probably least expected thing for me about Baby’s daily yoga practice is not how it feels, but rather how it looks. I don’t know why it never occurred to me that I would be able to see him moving from the outside. It just didn’t. When I was first able to feel the kicks, everyone I talked to sprang this news on me, but it wasn’t enough time to process before it actually started happening. That’s some really exorcist shit to see a little creature moving around inside your belly.

I get the feeling that Baby is not a big fan of flying, especially the landing. He’s been particularly rambunctious today, and it kinda felt like he was trying to make a break for it as the plane landed in Houston. He started to get a little buck when we landed in Omaha, but I did a little dance and he chilled out. I can’t say I blame him. I find travelling to be pretty uncomfortable myself. On the bus from Xela to Guate, I had to break out the trusty ziplock bag to vom. While the “morning” sickness subsided a couple months ago, the motion sickness is still on in full effect it seems. I remember when I was little EVERYTHING gave me motion sickness: cars, planes, trains, milk. I think I spent more time throwing up as a kid than anyone I know. As I got older, it never went away, but it got more tolerable. Now I feel like I’m starting from scratch again. I guess parenthood is the second childhood. Baby, all I’m gonna say is that you just better be cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment