My adventures in a multilingual, multinational marriage.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Well, here we are again... wasting my time. I just read (skimmed) a history of the internet. Like I give a damn. That was my limit. Time to retreat back to my blog.

So, I can't figure out if this is a moment of culture clash, my inner type A taking over my life, or what; but today has been an exercise in shaking my head in disappointment. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the idea that a group of adults, supposedly responsible for the education of young people, can actually allow themselves to lose control of a situation on a massive scale.

Let me back up: We've been taking yearbook photos recently. They're really rather cute, but a huge waste of time. If you tell the teachers what you want, when it needs to happen, etc; then we should be able to organize everything and it takes less time, right? Not according to the computer teacher who is, at least in name, in charge of these photos. No, it's better to just call everyone out of class and have them mill about for 40 minutes while they could be learning things until they decide to take the picture. Because THAT makes the most sense. According to our natural teacher instinct, we even attempted to facilitate the process, but since we were all going on differing perceptions of what needed to be done: chaos ensued. Really, the icing on the cake is when the students groan and say, "This is just going to be a waste of time, though." Yeah, I know.

I think what really gets under my skin is this:

"La no planificación es la planificación al fracaso." Which for my monolingual readers (what readers, haha) is "Not planning is planning for failure," and this is something that has been used to admonish teachers at my school time and time again. So why doesn't it apply to the administration/coordination when it comes time for them to plan things in advance? I think that the following cartoon illustrates fairly well the answer.


And the history/overview of the internet for those of you who are new here:

No comments:

Post a Comment